Mosaic tile rightfully refers to the oldest of all existing versions of the cladding. The first mention of its use falls on the fifth century BC. Since then, a lot of time has passed, a huge number of technologies have been replaced, a large number of new samples of building materials have been produced. However, this version of the product for the decoration of the walls does not lose relevance.
- Advantages and disadvantages
- Materials of manufacture
- Mosaic Types
- Scope of application
- A natural stone
- Scope of application
- Drawings, ornaments, accents
- Basic masonry options
- Flexibility on the surface
- Facing of small elements
- What to look for when choosing a mosaic
- In what cases is it relevant?
Advantages and disadvantages
Today, many prefer an alternative to the usual, standard, monotonous tile, and as a building material for wall cover choose a mosaic. Like any other coating sample, it has advantages and disadvantages.
- A small size makes it possible to implement bold design ideas;
- Aesthetics of the vernal image, creativity of design;
- Universality - it is used for interior of bathrooms, in kitchens, for decoration of fireplaces, baths, pools, etc .;
- Resistance to moisture and liquid;
- Do not lose the properties and external characteristics after the application of household chemicals;
- Not prone to burnout;
- Does not need specialized care;
- Without complications it is possible to carry out restoration;
- It is easy to withstand sharp and repeated changes in temperature conditions;
- The use of a small tile is suitable for rough, curved surfaces, which can be hidden with its help, for laying out niches, arches, depressions, columns, etc .;
- Allows you to spread complex, amazing beauty drawings, compositions, combine with ceramic tiles, other types of finishes;
- Does not lose color;
- Excellent solution, regardless of the type of surface. It falls well on concrete, plaster, putty, wood, etc.
- Expensiveness of the product;
- High tariffs for the performance of this type of masonry tiles by professional finishers;
- Complexity and laboriousness of work.
Materials of manufacture
The mosaic is made of the following types of materials:
- A rock;
Often, designers use a combination of several types, made from different bases. In cases where it is necessary to find the most economical option, any one variety is combined with conventional ceramic tiles.
To increase the period of operation, apply a clear varnish over the tile.
This cladding category is classified not only according to the type of fabrication material, but also according to the type of substrate.Read also: Wall panels in the interior +75 photo examples in the design
|Variety of the base||Description|
|1. The grid.||The basis is imposed a certain number of elements in the desired order. As a result, you get a square shape of the samples, which in the form of a square, a rectangle are attached to the wall. With such squares, it is easy and quick to arrange convexities, corners, niches, projections of any area, etc. This is due to the flexibility and plasticity of the mesh.|
|2. The paper.||On the spread out in the right order tiles over the front side of the paper is glued. It helps to maintain the necessary order and uniformity. After all the components are laid, the glue is dried, you need to moisten the paper with warm water, and gently clean it.|
|3. Without foundation.||Small particles are laid directly on the surface of the wall. This type of masonry is performed only by highly qualified finishers.|
There is one more gradation depending on the form: square, rectangle, oval, broken options, etc.
Glass mosaic is used not only in the bathroom interior, but also in other purposes. It is considered one of the oldest materials. Previously it was almost inaccessible because of the high cost.
According to external data and composition, tile practically corresponds to ordinary glass. The difference lies in the increased strength. All the ingredients are connected by incandescence to huge temperatures - 1500 C. Then the melted mass is distributed in special forms. A high degree of strength is provided by a unique firing technology at high temperatures, and a small size.
For a wide variety of colors, metal oxides are mixed in the formulation.
Scope of application
Glass small tile is actively used for finishing bathrooms, or kitchen. Such material is decorated with walls in saunas, pools, fountains.
- a wide choice of glass veneers of various colors thanks to natural coloring substances in the composition. Among the glass varieties, you can find colorless patterns, bright or dark tones, gloss, and many others;
- resistance to multiplication of microbes, fungi and mold spores;
- high strength of tiles;
- resistance to moisture and changing temperature conditions. It easily tolerates persistent frosts and high temperatures;
- universality. It can be used for both walls and floors;
- low cost.
The most widely used option. It is an analog of standard ceramic tiles of reduced size. The surface can be smooth, rough, have rubbing, inserts of other colors. There are different forms, the most popular are the squares.
- does not require special care;
- resistant to cleaning agents;
- strength and durability;
- resistance to moisture and temperature changes;
- a wide variety of color options gives a chance to realize non-standard design ideas.
This kind of product is made by pressing multicolored glass and colorants. There are exotic colors - gold, turquoise, blue, or classic colors - white, black, yellow, gray, beige, etc. The resulting mass is "fried" at high temperatures.
- does not lose its properties under the influence of highly toxic chemicals;
- easily tolerates high humidity and temperature changes;
- unusually beautiful, bright color palette;
- variety of forms;
- is made in the form of small elements, whole large pieces.
- high price. It is explained by the complexity and high cost of the production process.
With the help of this variety, designers reproduce modern exclusive panels. To do this, the whole sheets are divided into parts of the desired size with a special tool. Such a front of work can only be carried out by professionals.
A natural stone
We can say that this is a budget option, with the exception of marble.
Everyone has a chance to take advantage of even the pebbles collected by themselves on any accessible coast.
It is made of different rocks. As a result of all possible forms and types of processing, elements of incredible, irregular forms are obtained. The stone can be polished, polished, and cut.
- wear resistance;
- strength, durability;
- resistance to household chemicals;
- resistance to temperature changes.
Scope of application
Stone mosaic panels found their application on the paths of household plots, in the design of the walls of bathrooms, window sills, kitchen aprons and many other elements. Unusualness consists in natural naturalness, variety of forms, colors and shades.
Drawings, ornaments, accents
Thanks to the small details of the mosaic, you can create a variety of structural landscapes and panels. The principle of working with it resembles puzzles. Of the tiles in the same way laid out a certain pattern or ornament. There are two main ways to lay out the tiles:
- The elements of the tiles are laid out immediately on the surface of the floor, the walls;
- Tiles are first laid on a special substrate, and then on the surface.
Some use ready-made samples and schemes, and someone independently designs, develops an individual ornament. It is possible to lay without observing a certain pattern or pattern.
In the bathroom often use frames made of mosaic - for mirrors, shelves, other items. Very unusual and stylish looks like a "rug" near the bath. Very opportunely will be niches, shelves designed in this way. In the large bathrooms create whole pictures depicting streaming waterfalls, bubbling rivers, animals, dolphins, other paintings. Maybe just a symbolic pattern or ornament.
For the bathroom most characteristic are certain tones of blue, blue, turquoise. They symbolize water expanses, sea waves.
Basic masonry options
- Lack of a certain pattern.
There is no picture, no scheme. Parts are laid out in any order. There can be different colors, types.
One of the most painstaking and time consuming processes. This can be the embodiment of a complex artistic project. It requires a creative approach. The image is collected gradually, pointwise. In order not to be mistaken, it is necessary to follow the scheme very carefully.
- Duplicate the fragment.
It is easy enough to carry out such a pattern yourself. You just need to choose an uncomplicated decor element that will be systematically repeated. It can be a wave, strips, etc.
- Large inclusions.
A large image is laid out on a monophonic background.
- Graphic images.
Easy laying out in several colors.
Flexibility on the surface
The decor of curved, convex, or concave surfaces has some specificity, unlike the decor of a flat surface.
As a basis for mosaic particles, a grid is taken.
On a flexible base, the facing material is laid out in the right order. If you are going to do this type of repair yourself, you can preview the training video on the Internet.See also: Design of a bathroom in a wooden house
If such a mosaic is designed to decorate the pool, or a bath, choose glass or ceramic types. The use of such a tile for the surface of the bath is the most difficult and time consuming work because of the small area and smooth, rounded forms.
Begin the laying of tiles should be from even areas.
After finishing the finish on a flat surface, you can go to the bends and protuberances. The angular surfaces are laid out from the top of the corner to the sides.
In the work with various irregularities, rounded edges, corners, you can not do without the tool that will divide the slabs into parts. It's a Bulgarian, with which you can split a whole product and grind sharp edges.
The rounding out will take a huge amount of time and measurements, for example. All scraps of any diameter and shape are useful here.
The solution masking the seams is applied diagonally, and not vertical, as on a straight surface.
Facing of small elements
Plots of a small area are more difficult to lay out with mosaic. All the inaccuracies of the work will be immediately visible. It is necessary to level the surface before starting work. Start laying tiles better from the center to the edges. Pay special attention to the first series. Do not rush to the edges, carefully measure out, look for, or saw out the suitable pieces.
What to look for when choosing a mosaic
Be sure to consider where you will use this material. For a floor the mosaic is marked with a badge in the form of a footprint. It is stronger and does not slip. Make sure that the lining material is resistant to household chemicals - this is the test tube icon on the package. Focus on quality. Mosaic there are several varieties. Red color marks the first, blue - the second, green - the third. Calculate the amount of material required. It depends on the size of the surface to be decorated. Buy tiles need more than the amount that is required.
In what cases is it relevant?
Mosaic today is popular and relevant in practice. It is used to form a certain interior in various premises. Often, these small particles of tiles are used not only in the premises, but also in the personal plots.
In the bathrooms - framed items of furniture, interior, veneered walls, floors, laid out rugs, the bath itself, the zone of showers.
In the kitchen - an apron is created, a lunch or work area is designated, table tops, window sills are made.
With the help of a mosaic make out baths, saunas, pools, fireplaces, fountains.
Mosaic is the type of facing material for all times. Having made a choice in his favor, the bathroom interior for many years will correspond to fashionable trends.
The uniqueness lies in the fact that such a sample can always be executed from any available improvised means. It can be old utensils, glass items, porcelain, old tiles, and many other items. Plan in advance the design of the interior, which will ultimately have to turn out. Draw it on paper. And forward! Prepare this type of tile with your own hands, create and fantasize.