A bathroom is one of the most important places of the house, a city apartment. It is important to observe sterility, but because of the high humidity materials are not all fit. Ceramic tiles have proven themselves, because it is easy to clean, produced in all kinds of design options, a long time does not require replacement. The design of the tile in the toilet is selected most appropriate to the general style of the interior of the apartment. Such decor is pasted on the floor, the walls are independently or attended by invited specialists.
Negative properties are also available:
- excessively cold all year round - bare feet walking on it unpleasant;
- It is easy to break by dropping a heavy object onto the surface;
- soundproofing qualities are very low;
- proper laying is not under the force of everyone, certain skills, some tools are required;
- exclusive design of the premises will be very expensive.
To the bathroom, which is tiled with tiles, it was not cold to walk, the cover is laid on heated floors. Special materials are also produced for soundproofing.
Types of tiles
The tile differs according to several parameters:
- place of application;
- the decoration method.
Depending on the application, a floor, wall, ceiling tile is distinguished. Sometimes it is made out the bottom of the bath in a combined bathroom, the countertop, where the washbasin is mounted. The surface of the wall is glossy, matte, mirror, textured, painted. The floor is different in the way it is made - porcelain, pressed, extruded. The marking is also different: red marks the highest quality, the average quality is marked in blue, low is marked in green. The highest resistance to all chemical detergents is marked with letters AA, medium B, low - S.
Wear resistance is indicated by Roman numerals, it makes sense for the house to use tiles marked with one to three.
The smallest of all kinds, because it is easy to apply on surfaces of complex shapes - arches, convex, concave elements, asymmetric details of the room. The most complex places are decorated with this kind of material, so it is loved by experienced designers. The mosaic is produced in various shapes - square, rectangular, rhomboid, round, polygonal, asymmetric. Its dimensions are from one to one, two to two or five to five centimeters. Stores, construction markets sell block and piece mosaic. The block has a larger size of about 30 by 30 cm, consists of many fragments, is glued exclusively on a flat surface.
According to the material of manufacture, mosaic is distinguished:
- glass - has in the composition of feldspar, quartz sand, metal oxides;
- smalt - from pressed glass with dye, suitable for places with increased load;
- metal - is made of steel, brass, glued to the rubber base;
- stone - is made of granite, marble, jasper, malachite, onyx, slate and others, it is decorated with the most expensive interiors.
The most common of these are the following patterns:
- "Chess", horizontal, vertical strips;
- gradient transitions from pale blue to blue, violet-black to white;
- schematic silhouettes of animals, people, houses;
- folk ornaments, letters, hieroglyphics;
- chaotically located bright shiny fragments on a light background.
This kind of cladding is suitable even for the smallest room, because the narrower the room, the more miniatures are chosen for it.
This material is the "closest relative" of ceramic tiles, having in its composition not only clay, but also dyes, feldspar, quartz sand. It has a rough surface that prevents slipping.
Its positive properties:
- Does not burn, does not lose color;
- low electrical conductivity;
- is not damaged by bacteria, pests;
- not able to cause allergies;
- very durable, wear-resistant.
Cons of granite:
- the coating is cold;
- Has an increased fragility when cutting or transporting.
The material is most often laid on the floor, the fragments are quite large, so the installation process will not last long.
It looks very original - the masters cast a tile imitating the texture of a natural tree of valuable species, natural stone, brick, fabric, straw, metal, etc. The palette of colors is also very diverse. The cost of such lining of the restroom is not small, but for the original appearance it is not a pity to pay a little more. There is also a tile "under the laminate" - these are large oblong dies with wood texture. This tile is sometimes done with photo printing, which is quite adorned even with the simplest interior, giving it uniqueness, recognition. The main drawback of parts with complex texture is the complexity of care for such surfaces.
Multicolored with ornaments
A tile with a pattern printed on it or a color one will perfectly decorate any bathroom. The walls, the floor are made entirely by him or by this decorative element, separate zones, mirrors, plumbing devices stand out. Often combine white tiles with colored or patterned chess pieces, vertical stripes, color curbs, etc.
To visually expand a close toilet, the back wall is made monophonic, preferably black, violet, blue or mirror. The side walls are decorated in light colors.
"Kabanchik" - tile of rectangular shape, having a chamfer, resembling a kind of brick. How this name came about: during production, the product has two technological holes, similar to the pig's patch. After the blob is broken, two details of a convex shape are obtained, with edges oblique at an angle of 45 degrees.
Advantages of the "boar":
- hardness, strength;
- wear resistance;
- resistance to changes in temperature, humidity, chemicals;
- simplicity of care.
Dimensions of tiles: the smallest are 7 by 10 cm, large - 25 by 35 cm, other dimensions are possible. They are produced mainly monochrome, matte, glossy, imitating various materials, glass.See also: Bathroom design - 150 photo examples
With the help of such a tile, it is possible to correct the shape of the space - if it is required to extend, expand, it is laid horizontally, like bricks, when one wants to make a ceiling above - vertically.
Combined finish with tiles
The tile in the toilet, the bathroom is often combined with different materials:
- with decorative plasters - the finish masks the unevenness of the walls, perfectly matching with all kinds of tiles. Sometimes it is covered with acrylic paints, pearlescent enamel, etc .;
- with paint - tiles cover 30-60 percent of the height of the wall, the rest is painted. Sometimes the details on the walls and the floor are made of the same material, which looks very interesting;
- with wallpaper, photo wallpaper - quite a budget option. The tile clears the space near the toilet bowl, over the sink, the entire shower cabin, the rest is pasted with wallpaper, preferably washable, intended for wet rooms;
- with panels from PVC - outwardly imitate a tile, with the help of them hide all communications. Such panels are cheaper than tiles, which is important for those who want to save;
- with panels made of wood - environmentally friendly material, suitable for many styles. For protection from water it is covered with special compounds, natural colors are produced.
All joints between individual tiles are treated with special moisture-resistant grouts.
The color design of the bathroom depends on the stylistic decision, the area of the room. In the toilet of the apartment "Khrushchev", which has an area of two to four square meters, usually used tiles of the brightest, warmest colors. For more spacious or having a window, it is possible to apply any color solutions, including dark, cold shades.
The most popular combinations are:
- golden and blue;
- bright pink with lavender;
- ocher with beige;
- brick with pale emerald;
- sunny yellow with brown;
- blue with canvas-gray;
- turquoise with light green;
- black with milky white;
- lilac with fuchsia;
- vanilla with wine-red;
- Cloudy-celestial with olive.
When combining two or three colors simultaneously, the share of the primary must account for at least 60% of the total space. More than three colors are not recommended.
Ways of laying
Tile for bathroom and toilet is stacked in several ways, which are used separately or combined:
- standard - the wall is faced with brickwork, that is, each part is displaced by half the length of the tile of the previous row. The method is used more often than others;
- Vertical offset - it is executed almost like the previous one, but the offset is made relative to the vertical lines. For very small rooms such a design solution is not recommended;
- Stacked horizontally - the seam is seated in the seam, if the parts are rectangular, then horizontally. It is important to observe the shape of the seams, to make them as smooth as possible;
- Stacked vertically - made from vertical tiles in the same way as the previous one, but they are placed vertically. Suitable for a bathroom with a low ceiling;
- "Chess" - rectangular details have two, alternating between vertical and horizontal, square ones are selected in different colors. It looks good both on the floor and on the walls;
- diagonally - a complicated way to perform, but very beautiful, suitable for the closest spaces;
- "Christmas tree" - reminds the classic laying of parquet in old buildings. It looks impressive, but some parts have to be cut at an angle of 45 degrees.
Calculation of the required number of tiles, adhesive composition, produced in advance, before beginning its installation. Mark the walls with a laser level, stretched twine, the width of the seams is 2-5 mm.
Style and tile
The design of the toilet, bathroom is selected in accordance with the design of the rest of the apartment:
- loft - matte rectangular elements of white or reddish-brown color are laid in the form of bricks, uncovered water pipes are painted under bronze or shiny steel, plumbing is selected in simple forms, there is a lot of light in the room;
- modern - tile "boar" of pure colors on the walls, on the floor - a large square shape, hanging ergonomic plumbing, accurate lighting, on the walls small shelves;
- Art Deco - hexagonal light tile with painted on the walls, combined with dark wood, dark floor, plumbing with details of brass, gilded decor, plastic stucco molding on the ceiling, with window, it is decorated with a curtain of organza;
- classical - large tiled, reminiscent of marble, elements on the walls, above the bathroom colored mosaic, forming a story composition, on the floor - simple square shapes, a small amount of wooden furniture;
- hi-tech - an abundance of mirrored plates, alternating with the design "for metal," a shower of frosted glass, the toilet is separated by a screen with openwork plasma cutting;
- ecological - on the walls textured tiles "under the tree", on the floor of terra-cotta colors ceramic granite, the tabletop near the washbasin is decorated with shade-tolerant plants in flowerpots, plumbing is selected light brown or green;
- Scandinavian - white, beige or wood-yellow tiles on the walls and the same on the floor of the room, a minimum of furniture, a maximum of light, wooden shelves above the dressing table;
- Provence - matt ceramic granite in the design of the whole floor, on walls combined with decorative plaster, textile under the sink, combined in texture with curtains on the window, the ceiling is decorated with light wood;
- minimalism - red, white, black tiles or a combination of all three colors is made up of the floor, walls, ceiling, plumbing is selected contrasting the main background, detergents, cosmetics, hygiene items "hiding" behind the screen under the bathroom;
- east - on the wall mosaic lined image of the Chinese pagoda surrounded by hieroglyphs "water", "earth", "fire" and others, the room is made in red and brown shades, with a small amount of white and black.
Layout scheme, options for combining materials and textures, think through independently or refer to specialists-finishers.
Tile for the toilet - the most popular material for many decades. Correct, accurate covering of walls, floors with tiles will give any bathroom a neat appearance, will please the eye for about half a century. It is difficult to glue the tiles with your own hands, because it should be done as accurately as possible, keeping the same width of the joints, while checking the level or plumb all the time. Therefore, many hire a professional tiler, who will quickly perform work on the customer's sketches in the best possible way. If there are difficulties with the selection of the stylistic solution of the toilet room, the specialists-designers will come to the aid, as well as all kinds of master classes from the Internet.