Since ancient times, people decorate their homes - some spend on it fabulous amounts, others use improvised materials. In terms of decorating, the price-quality ratio, the attractiveness of appearance, durability, and the complexity of installation are taken into account. A variety of decor of foam plastic is low price, looks good, has a wide scope of application, and many elements from it are easy to make by hand.
- high thermal insulation;
- easy, easy to install, handle, transport;
- not prone to damage by mold, parasites;
- suitable for wet rooms;
- long does not lose its appearance;
- good as a heater;
- It is suitable for decoration of facades, interior decoration;
- withstands a wide range of temperatures;
- Do not spoil when washing;
- very cheap.
Disadvantages of the material:
- many species are toxic;
- it is easily destroyed under the influence of some paints, solvents, alcohol;
- often damaged, broken during transportation, installation;
- It is impossible to make excessively complex elements.
In the interior design of foam plastic, all kinds of stucco molding, as well as various crafts, souvenirs, decorations for the house, garden are made.
Stucco for walls
Imitation of plaster molding is made from coarse and fine-grained sheets of foam. More often such details make white, unpainted or imitating various materials - wood, stone, etc. Stucco of expanded polystyrene is decorated with interiors of styles:
For decoration of walls from polystyrene the following decorative elements are produced:
- plinth - closes the joint place of the walls with the floor, skirting boards are produced in various thicknesses, can hide wires;
- cornice - covers the angle formed between the ceiling and the wall, there are different widths, degrees of decorativeness;
- rosette - frames the place where the lamp is fastened;
- Molding - a wide bar, decorated with a volumetric pattern, is used as a frame;
- bas-relief - a three-dimensional detail protruding above the plane, a full composition;
- bracket - is attached to the protruding parts as a supporting part, formed by curls;
- corner pieces - they form the corners of the walls;
- column - volumetric detail, mounted on the wall vertically;
- half-column - less convex than a column, usually rounded;
- capital - the top of the column, half-columns;
- niche - is attached to the wall, various objects are installed on it;
- element of the fireplace - frame for a decorative or electric fireplace;
- sandric - facade curtain over the window, indoors rarely used;
- elements of the frame of doors, windows, arches - have different sizes, shapes;
- architrave - can have a complicated pattern, but more often it is a narrow detail, under which the wiring hides;
- panels - have the form of tiles with convex patterns of different sizes, the popular is the decoration "under the brick."
Elements for external finishing are reinforced with acrylic glass-cloth, on which special spraying is applied, as a result, a realistic imitation of this gypsum is obtained.
Styrofoam stucco is desirable to use where it can not damage people, pets, since when rough exposure, dents remain, which greatly damage the appearance.
Fretwork for the ceiling
Polyfoam has a low weight, so it is used for finishing hanging, tension, conventional ceilings. The following details are used:
- decorative panels - square tiles, about 50 by 50 cm in size, with which the ceiling is covered completely, usually have convex details;
- ceiling rosettes - they form the bases of fixtures mounted on the ceiling;
- caissons - are issued in the form of textured rectangular, square tiles;
- Domes - have the form of round concave tiles;
- ornaments, including corner ones - details of different sizes in the form of flowers, curls, rhombuses, are fixed both on the ceiling and on the walls;
- ceiling skirting boards - mounted between the ceiling and the wall, sometimes decorated with lighting.
Under the order, some firms make whole ceiling, wall panels, stylized under the Renaissance or with the image that the client wants.
When decorating an interior molding, the main thing is not to "go too far" with the decor - its excessive amount looks tasteless.
Installation of products from foam plastic
Manufacturing of details from polystyrene in industrial conditions is a computerized process, you can paste them on the wall yourself. Mounting foam elements is very simple, special knowledge, skills are not needed for this.
How it should be done:
- the wall or ceiling is cleaned of paint, whitewash, dirt, wallpaper;
- if there are irregularities higher than one centimeter, the surface must be leveled;
- for the installation of special glue, for large parts will require anchors, hardware;
- You can use mounting or foam polyurethane foam, PVA glue, "liquid nails", dry glue compositions;
- the element is greased with glue, applied to the surface, tightly, but very gently pressed, it is important not to damage or deform the small parts;
- if necessary, after the glue dries, the construction is reinforced with dowels;
- at the very end with the sealant fill the joints between the parts, holes for dowels, excess is removed, the surface should be wiped.
The installation is finished, now it is primed with a special compound, covered with several layers of acrylic paints. Each new layer is applied only after the previous one has dried completely. Art painting, for example, in gold, is also acceptable. Local highlighting of individual molded parts creates a unique atmosphere in the room.
Glue containing alcohol, aniline, ether, chlorine, nitrogen compounds for sticking foam is not suitable - the above described components destroy it.
Foam Plastic Crafts
What can I make of foam plastic home with my own hands:
- voluminous letters for holidays;
- Easter eggs;
- Christmas balls, snowmen;
- Photo frame;
- snowflakes for the New Year;
- decorations on the door in the form of a wreath;
- bases for bouquets, trees;
- furniture decor;
- figurines of fairy-tale characters;
- framing of mirrors;
- decorations for home puppet theater;
- water lilies for a summer pond;
- background for the aquarium;
- pumpkin on "Halloween";
- mushrooms, animals, birds for the country garden.
How it is done: the elements are simply cut out with a stationery knife or special cutters according to a conceived pattern, pasted with colored paper or painted with special paints. Large pieces can be glued together from several pieces. In the presence of certain artistic skills and a sufficient amount of material, foam panels decorate the whole wall. Subjects are chosen any - nature, space, pictures from books, still lifes, portraits, ancient bas-reliefs.
Polyfoam - cheap, practical material, if it concerns a light decor, suitable for rooms with any microclimate. Polyfoam parts "live" for a long time, if you do not touch them, the finish looks good both inside and outside. For small apartments it is better to use small parts, for spacious use more voluminous. To mount elements from expanded polystyrene easily and simply with your own hands, but on the issues of competent placement in "complex" interiors it is better to turn to a specialist who will help you to design a certain style, to recreate a certain era.Read also: Laminate in the interior - 26 photo examples