Fabric stretch ceilings - this is an excellent solution for finishing the premises. Stretch ceilings have been used for more than 30 years, but the seamless option has begun to gain wide popularity only in recent years. As evidenced by numerous reviews.
Satin fabric ceiling with a pattern of Mediterranean style.
The charm of stretch fabric ceilings in impeccable quality.
In this article, read:
- 1 What are fabric ceilings?
- 2 Advantages and disadvantages
- 3 Manufacturers of fabric ceilings
- 4 Installation of a seamless ceiling
- 4.1 Installation of fabric tension ceilings. Video
- 5 Quality fabric stretch ceilings. Video
- 6 Fabric stretch ceilings in the interior of the room
What are fabric ceilings?
Such a coating was developed about 15 years ago by Clipso. They are worth more than the usual PVC film, but more often consumers opt for tissue cloth. How is this explained? To answer this question, you should consider the finishing material in more detail.
Fabric stretch ceilings are made from polyester. The cloth is very thin, having the form of a grid. The surface is treated with polyurethane on both sides. This impregnation significantly improves the performance properties of the material.
Large dimensions of fabric stretch ceilings can be installed in spacious rooms.
Red ornament looks favorably on a white background.
The fabric texture of the fabric ideally emits a ceiling with an impeccable, even finish of the plaster.
Two-tier version of fabric tension ceilings. The designer skillfully highlighted the matte surface of the fabric.
Why is this kind of stretch ceiling called seamless? This is explained by the fact that the canvases are made from 3 to 5 meters wide. Therefore, it is often not necessary to sew 2 pieces of material. While the maximum width of the PVC film is only 3 m, which requires the stitching of 2 pieces. As a result, a seam will be placed on the surface, which is particularly noticeable on the ceiling with a glossy surface.
Advantages and disadvantages
Stretch ceilings of fabric have their positive and negative properties. Advantages include:
- a large width of the roll, allowing you to mount the canvas without stitching;
- resistance to temperature changes. The material perfectly withstands both frosts and heat, it can be operated in a temperature range from -40 to +80 degrees;
- high strength. Cloth is much stronger than PVC film, it's not so easy to tear. During use, the fabric does not sag and does not deform;
- installation of a seamless ceiling does not require pre-heating the room, no need to take out of the room furniture and other items that can be damaged as a result of high temperatures;
- simplicity of care. It is enough to wipe the surface with a damp cloth and all the dirt will be removed;
- wide design possibilities. As a rule, the color of seamless stretch ceilings is scarcer than that of PVC film. However, the fabric can be printed with a photo print, decorate its surface with artistic painting, or simply paint it with water-based paint;
- fabric tension ceilings are antistatic, do not accumulate dust;
- Special impregnation makes the fabric resistant to burning and ignition;
- the material is resistant to molds, fungi;
- behind the fabric ceilings, you can hide various communications, engineering networks;
- good heat and sound insulation properties. Special processing allows you to create an excellent acoustics in the room, eliminating the echo.
The disadvantages of fabric seamless ceilings include:
- high price. Fabric ceilings are an order of magnitude higher than their film analogues;
- with prolonged exposure to water, the tissue changes color, and after 48 hours contact with water begins to flow;
- the canvas absorbs extraneous odors well;
- It is impossible to make a canvas with a glossy or mirror surface;
- It is not possible to dismantle the suspended ceiling with further installation.
It is worth noting that reviews of fabric stretch ceilings are contradictory. Someone is delighted with the new finish, and someone has not lived up to expectations. By design, the fabric is often inferior to polyvinyl chloride films, but the performance characteristics are different. Therefore, before choosing it is recommended to read reviews of consumers who have already encountered this or that kind of material.
Manufacturers of fabric ceilings
Currently, the leading manufacturers of fabric fabrics are two companies - the company Clipso (Switzerland-France), which presented the world with a new finish, and the company Pongs Textil (Germany), producing fabric under the brand Descor. The products of both manufacturers are of high quality, good performance, as evidenced by numerous positive reviews. However, Clipso's fabric ranks first. It is more elastic and durable, easy to assemble.
Protection against counterfeiting of such materials is the presence of markings, which are applied on the edge of the fabric. The marking consists of a trademark and a brand name. Therefore, when buying a branded product, it is recommended to pay attention to the presence of such protection.
Fruit fair on the ceiling.
Variant of a circular ornament on a fabric. For matte color canvas designers offer a light ornament with a dark tint.
Perhaps most readers will say: "So do not."
Also there are 2 more brands - Cerutti and Alloys. However, the owners of the trademark are companies that do not deal with production of fabrics for stretch ceilings. Accordingly, the cost of such products will be higher. And reviews are often negative than positive ones.
Installation of a seamless ceiling
Installation of fabric tension ceilings is fixed to the profile.
It can be of two types: a U-shaped aluminum or a "clothespin" type with a glazing fastener.
In the first case, the canvas practically does not stretch. However, the profile is very strong pressure, so its attachment should be given the closest attention. The profile is attached to hardware and special spacers.
Installation of fabric tension ceilings. Video
Attachment with clothespins is cheaper, simple and not so laborious. That is why this method has become more widespread. Fabric is filled in baguette with a spatula.
A universal way is to install the blade with clip fasteners. Installation of a stretch ceiling in this case is carried out in the shortest possible time.
Before installing the stretch ceiling it is recommended to paste the wallpaper.
The installation process itself consists of the following steps:
- Profile fixing. When installing the baguette, you need to monitor the smoothness of its location. Preliminarily the lowest angle is determined, with respect to which the profile is fixed;
- installation of cloth. The way of fastening the fabric in the profile depends on the type of baguette. Installation should be carried out by 2 people: one tucks the fabric in the profile, and the second supports it in weight. First you need to fix the canvas along the short walls, and then move on to the long ones. Surplus material is cut with a stationery knife.
The main advantage of installing a fabric stretch ceiling is that there is no need to preheat the room.