The bathroom along with the kitchen is traditionally referred to the premises with a "complex" microclimate. It maintains "chronic" moisture and high temperatures, which will not withstand every material. Until the beginning of the last century, beyond competition was the "queen" of finishing - ceramic tiles. But over time, despite its constantly expanding range, the consumer wanted even more variety. At that moment plastic came out on stage - modern, cheap, lightweight material. Over time, he surpassed all competitors in the finish and became a universal design solution for both budget repairs and for the design of luxury apartments. Design baths with PVC panels are considered practical options. For finishing use three variations of the material:
Pros and Cons of using plastic panels
PVC has a number of undeniable advantages: • Complete absence of fear of moisture. The material perfectly withstands the test by the climate of the bathroom. The thing is that there are no pores in its structure, as, for example, in natural wood. Accordingly, the water has nowhere to leak. From this advantage of PVC follows the following advantage:
- Lack of favorable conditions for the life of colonies of fungi and mold.
- Durability. Plastic can survive for more than a decade, if you look after it properly.
- Simple installation. Wall panels are attached to the surface in two ways, but even the average person can cope with the task.
- Price. Low cost of the material causes its wide use in various spheres of life, and PVC finishing is not limited.
- Ease of care. Plastic panels are regularly washed with soapy water. Material from the systematic cleaning of harm will not be any.
- A rich assortment of colors and drawings.
Naturally, polyvinyl chloride, like any other material for facing, has its own disadvantages:
- Sensitivity to mechanical damage. Although PVC is considered to be flexible material, but with a strong impact, a dent is formed or the panel breaks. Inside the plates are hollow structure. Since the structure is assembled on a modular basis, any of its individual elements can be replaced.
- Release of toxins during combustion. We have already spoken about this fact above. PVC is classified as fireproof material, that is, they can not ignite. But, if the fire appeared elsewhere and spread to the bathroom, then it is strictly forbidden to breathe the substances released during combustion.
- Panels do not allow moisture. In this advantage there is also a shortcoming: the walls cease to "breathe". Over time, this fact will negatively affect the insulation.
Many opponents of the use of plastic dislike arise on the basis of associations with office premises, where most often repairs are made using material. In fact, its range is not limited to typical panels of neutral brown color. To make sure of this, it is enough to visit the nearest "building" trade point.
How to choose
When choosing a PVC for bathroom decoration are guided by three main aspects:
- Dimensions. Choose according to the future interior of the room and its dimensions;
- Quality. This parameter determines the life of the material;
- Texture. It is determined by the desired decorative effect.
Panels are classified into two types depending on the location:
- The wall.
At the same time, they are divided into three types according to their appearance:
- Seamless. The joints are certainly available, but they are not noticeable and create the illusion of a continuous coating;
- Relief. They have clearly defined seams;
- Combined options. Something in between obvious joints and disguised.
The most important requirement when choosing polyvinyl chloride is still its quality. Design characteristics go to the background in front of the safety of home owners.
Traditional for the bathroom is the sea style. It most clearly reflects the functional purpose of the room. In the decoration of walls usually use a combination of white and blue. The texture of the panels can simulate sand, small pebbles or a water surface. Hi tech prefers imitation steel, and Provence - aged wood. In the design with more expensive decor, they acquire special panels, which are assembled in the manner of a mosaic. On their surface there is a drawing: dolphins, sea stars, skates, jellyfish and other inhabitants of the depths. For a romantic atmosphere, panels with corresponding images are used: roses, irises, tulips, orchids. In the Japanese style there are necessarily pagodas and branches of cherry blossom. For timeless classics choose panels with floral designs and imitation stucco around the perimeter. In the minimalism only monochrome variants are allowed in calm shades: white, gray, blue. In small bathrooms it is better to use light, modern directions, where designers choose functionality at the expense of the complexity of the finish. In spacious rooms, you can experiment by dividing them into zones (bath, bathroom, washbasin) using a different texture of the finish.See also: Design of a bathroom with a washing machine +50 photo ideas
Variety of textures and colors
In fact, polyvinyl chloride can simulate almost any natural material. The most popular are:
- Drawing of wood;
- Marble or granite
The color range of PVC panels does not have borders. The assortment presents a variety of shades, but for the bathroom traditionally preferred:
In small spaces, due to monochrome panels with relief seams (horizontal), the spatial frames are expanded. A similar technique (vertical) works in rooms with low ceilings.
Ways of installation
Before you go to the store for the finishing material, you need to take measurements. Calculate the total surface area to be decorated with plastic. Its width is multiplied by the height. From the resulting number, subtract the area of the doorways and windows, if any, in the room. The last for rooms in Khrushchev's is of course a rarity, but in a private house the bathroom can have them even a few. Also it is necessary to remove from the general value a zone of a bath if that adjoins to a wall, and repair does not assume its dismantle. After the calculations are sent for the material. There are two ways of installing PVC panels:
|Adhesive (frameless)||The panels are attached directly to the wall.|
|Wireframe||A special crate is installed under the material.|
In addition to the set of tools for work, you will additionally require:
- Floor and ceiling skirting boards;
These materials perform a decorative function, but without them the interior design will seem unfinished.
The list of tools for finishing the bathroom with PVC panels includes:
- Drill, hacksaw, screwdriver;
- Building level, measuring tape, pencil, gon;
- Screws and dowels;
- Building glue, self-tapping screws or kleimers;
- Bars made of wood or metal crate;
- Sealant for processing joints.
The list can be supplemented. The tool kit depends on how the panels are fixed to the wall surface.
This type of installation is not suitable for small rooms. The frame will inevitably "eat" valuable centimeters. Usually, this method is chosen for finishing the ceiling. As mentioned above, the material has a special structure (without pores), so it will not become a hotbed of harmful organisms. But, if there are voids under the panels, then in the course of time, whole colonies of bacteria and mold can settle. In addition, in the presence of a frame, the risk of material damage increases significantly, it becomes more fragile without having a hard surface. Of the obvious advantages are the ability of the crate to hide obvious defects of the wall: it can mask their irregularities or curvature.
Finishing works are conventionally divided into several stages:
- Marking and installation of the first rails. The future crate is constructed from wooden or metal bars. For the bathroom it is better to stop the choice on the second, as the tree is less durable and subject to rotting. The main line is drawn horizontally along the entire perimeter of the room. Orienting on it, with the help of dowels fasten the first rail. At the bottom of the floor, a second method is installed in a similar way. They will be based on their future work.
- Fastening of additional racks. The optimal distance between them is considered to be a distance of 50 cm. Before installing additional racks, check their "horizontal" level.
- Fixture moldings. They are necessary for masking joints in the vicinity of corners.
After the work on the frame is completed proceed to the installation of plastic panels. Begin the process from the wall that is always in sight (distant). To the crate material is attached with screws using a screwdriver. The panels are inserted into the corners (moldings) and screwed to the frame. On each side there are special grooves, which allow to connect them together. To ensure better coupling, they are slightly taped with a hammer.
Adhesive facing method
Adhesive method is devoid of all the disadvantages of the frame, but it is associated with additional finishing works: putty and primer surface. The first is carried out only if necessary, it does not belong to the compulsory preparatory stages. If the walls have obvious irregularities, scrapes or damages, then they can not do without applying putty. Defects are smoothed out, and the surface is leveled. After drying putty, the wall is primed to ensure a good adhesion to the glue. The panels are cut off if necessary.
On the surface of the wall, a layer of glue (the so-called "liquid nails") is applied pointwise. At the same time try not to cover the places where the panel seams are located, because the substance can leak through them. As in the glue method, it is necessary to monitor how exactly the material falls on the surface. The process is completed by setting the framing profile.
How to cut panels correctly
Hacksaws for wood cutting or metal with small teeth are suitable for cutting PVC. With the help of these tools, you can process several panels at once, which is convenient for a large amount of work. Do not press hard on the material, as it may crack or break. When cutting, the panels are held at an angle of approximately 45 degrees face up. Also suitable for work and electric jigsaw, but during the process you need to carefully monitor the force of pressure, so as not to break the material. "Circulars" and "grinders" for cutting PVC are not suitable, because PVC is too fragile for such tools. In addition, with the rapid rotation of the discs, the material heats up, and it, as is known, starts to release toxins in parallel.
The main plus of plastic panels is that their installation is easy to carry out with their own hands without the involvement of a team of specialists. All that is required from a beginner in the finish is the smooth attachment of each module. For the bathroom, kitchen and corridor PVC is considered the best option, which combines good functional characteristics and the ability to implement any designer fantasies. Panels trim not only the walls, but also the ceiling. It looks particularly luxurious when installing spotlights, which emphasize the features of the surface.