In the previous part of the article about the repair of the kitchen with our own hands, we talked about the design and layout of the kitchen. Today we will talk about finishing the kitchen, choosing materials and kitchen appliances. So, the repair of the kitchen with their own hands and the embodiment of the conceived design require the presence of building and finishing materials. Below we will talk about what materials are available so that you can determine the appropriate option. So, let's understand in detail in the wisdom of finishing the kitchens and equipping them with the necessary equipment
Flooring in the kitchen
For floor finishing in the kitchen, there are the following types of coverage:
- Ceramic tile. It is easy to take care of such a material and it is resistant to moisture. The assortment is simply huge, so that everyone will find the right option for themselves. However, it should be borne in mind that ceramic tiles are not easy to stack, and the insulation at it is low.
- Linoleum. This material is often used for finishing the kitchen, and this is justified, because linoleum is inexpensive, and at the same time it serves a fairly long time. There are different types in terms of heat capacity, composition and the presence of the liner. The disadvantage is the possibility of cuts with any sharp objects.
- Cork floor is very pleasant in sensations and, moreover, is the most environmentally friendly and warm coating for the kitchen. This material is not susceptible to water and various vapors. However, there are drawbacks, among which the risk of stains from dyes or grease and the low strength of this material.
- Parquet or parquet board - the most durable coating, if you follow it correctly. The only drawback is the poor tolerance of humidity, in connection with which the coating can deteriorate over time and change its color.
Wall decoration in the kitchen
The repair of kitchen walls with their own hands also requires the presence of certain materials for the decoration of walls. What we recommend to use for walls in the kitchen:
- Washable wallpaper. This is an excellent option to do a kitchen repair yourself. There is a wide range of this material, as well as the ability to apply the desired pattern to wallpaper with the help of paints, thereby concealing all defects. The shortcomings include low resistance to mechanical damage. A non-standard type of wallpaper for the kitchen are liquid wallpaper, which is applied to the wall with a spatula.
- Paint. The most simple and inexpensive way of finishing the walls of the kitchen. It is best to use a semi-mat washable paint that can correct the main wall defects. In addition, the painted surface can easily be repainted in a different color. However, it should be borne in mind that various errors will be visible on such a surface, and the surface will quickly become dirty.
- Decorative plaster. Such material is able to hide all the irregularities of the wall. In addition, there is the possibility of creating a unique composition or picture on the kitchen wall. Caring for such material is quite simple, but it will be difficult to dismantle when carrying out the next repair.
Ceiling in the kitchen with your own hands
You should also choose the material for the ceiling in the kitchen. The following options are on sale:
- Suspended ceiling. The main material is plastic panels, which are not afraid of drops of fat and moisture and do not require special care. The advantage of this material is the possibility of creating multi-level structures. The disadvantages are the indentation of a few centimeters from the rough ceiling. If your apartment is with low ceilings, do not choose this method as a ceiling finish.
- Ceiling tiles. This material is made of expanded polystyrene. This is the most economical type of ceiling finish for the kitchen. Such slabs will perfectly hide all the defects in your ceiling. However, it is worth considering that preference is best given only to laminated tiles, as it is easy to clean and not quickly spoiled.
- Also we recommend to consider stretch ceilings for the kitchen. Most likely you do not install them yourself, but it's beautiful, done quickly and fairly affordable.
- The last, traditional option - leveling the ceiling with plaster, followed by painting.
Now you know what use the building and finishing materials for the kitchen and the choice is just for you.
Read also: Apron for the kitchen: 30 photos of stylish examples to follow
Kitchen equipment and appliances
It is important to choose the right appliances for the kitchen, because it directly affects the comfort of the hostess. There is built-in appliances for the kitchen and appliances, which is bought separately. Staying on the last option, you will save space in the kitchen, and with built-in appliances, the whole kitchen will look like a single whole.
In any case, we recommend making a choice based on the overall design that you thought out in the first stage. This will have a positive effect on the result of your repair.
When choosing an oven, check first with the set of options that it is equipped with. Check if there is a function of tangential cooling in it and whether it is equipped with a convection fan. The latter function allows the dish to cook faster and more evenly.
Before buying a hob, determine which type suits you: gas or electric. So, the gas hob is able to heat up the dishes more quickly, and the electrical panels will protect the hostess from the open fire and ensure the convenience of temperature control.
Choosing a hood, it is worth considering two varieties: drainage and recirculation. They differ in that the outlet removes smoke and particles of grease on the street, and recirculation cleans air with filters.
If you decide to buy a dishwasher, then please note that the model you like is suitable for your kitchen. In addition, it is worth paying attention to some of the functional programs provided in this model.
In search of a kitchen sink, you will come across two options: stainless steel or stone. Steel models are more practical, they are easier to clean, but the artificial stone is represented by a large assortment and can fit well into the design of your kitchen.
In the next part of the article, we will talk about lighting the kitchen, what color range is better to choose and how to decorate the kitchen.