The place of birth of the interior style loft are considered to be large industrial cities of the USA, and it happened in the 40s - 50s of the 20th century. The impetus for the emergence of this style was, oddly enough, the increase in the value of land in the center of the city.
Industrial enterprises at that time were already sufficiently developed and occupied large areas. The location of the factories and factories in the central part of the city became not profitable and they began to be transferred to the outskirts of cities, and the vacated premises began to be rented.
Huge spaces of hangars and factory shops could hardly be called similar to living quarters, so at first the poor layers of the population settled there. But soon the specific interiors of our fans, they became the creative part of the population - artists, musicians, photographers, architects and others. They were able to see the dignity of such a dwelling - a large airspace, windows all over the wall, which was original and not covered in these rooms.
Europe, having looked at the photo of the loft style in the interior, picked up the idea and soon a lot of industrial buildings located in the center of the city began to be equipped for housing.
The final fact confirming the formation of the loft as an interior style was the construction of new buildings using the main characteristic features of this trend and the implementation of the interiors of apartments in loft style.
The interior design in loft style is very expressive and it is difficult to not recognize it, we will consider the distinctive features:
- The main distinguishing feature of this interior style is a large space, not only in width, but also in height. A spacious area, with no partitions between the functional areas, only the toilet and bathroom can be closed due to the specificity of the premises.
- Windows in this style, as a rule, are panoramic in the whole wall or small attic, but then there are a lot of them. The windows are not covered with curtains, thus creating the illusion of even greater space. Only in case of need protection from the bright sun, provide in the windows roller blinds of neutral or contrast performance.
- The walls are decorated with small fragments, as a whole, the wall surfaces are left in the original form. It can be brickwork, concrete surfaces. Sometimes, for decoration, metal sheets or wooden surfaces made from a board or plywood sheet are used as fragments.
- As for the flooring, there was a small adaptation of industrial premises for residential use. Concrete floors are practically not used, in their place came wooden, liquid or stone from slabs of natural and artificial stone.
- Ceilings - this is a very peculiar component of the loft style. Usually they did not finish at all, leaving in an interior a concrete surface, wooden or metal beams. On the ceiling lay open wiring and ducts for ventilation. For lighting use minimalist design lamps or special, used for industrial lighting.
- Initially, such large rooms were not heated centrally, for the heating of premises used by furnaces and iron tanks. After the adaptation of the premises for housing, these heating elements became entrenched and became a highlight in the design of the premises. Barrels and tanks were transformed into fireplaces.
- The premises are usually quite high, which allows you to arrange a second level and place additional areas on it, for example, a bedroom or a study. Such a built-in structure was made of metal or wooden beams. Since the buildings were originally industrial, their designs were designed for much greater loads than living furniture.
- Furniture was chosen simple, functional. It could be both modern and responsive to the spirit of the appearance of the loft as an interior style.
- The color scheme was limited to natural natural colors of materials - gray concrete, metallic elements of gray or black color, terracotta brick and, of course, natural wood.
Today they successfully use the loft style in the interior of a small apartment, applying not all of course techniques, but quite a lot of those listed earlier. If you want, you can use the techniques for decorating one of the rooms in the loft style.
Loft style photo in the interior
- Art deco style in the interior - 115 photo ideas for modern design
- Design of a small apartment - 115 photos of the best ideas of a modern interior
- Design of a 3-room apartment - 115 photos of the best ideas how to decorate a beautiful interior
- English style in the interior - 75 photos of the best ideas for modern design design
- Baroque style in the interior - 115 photos of colorful interior design
- Design of a narrow apartment - original ideas of a modern interior (50 photos)
- Classic apartment design - 100 real photos of an ideally decorated interior
- Design of an apartment in a panel house - basic principles of interior decoration (70 photos)
- Art Nouveau in the interior - 100 photos of perfectly designed design