Today in the decoration of the interior and exterior of the building a special stained glass film is used, perfectly simulating the surface of this stained glass window. Unlike the classical constructions made of lead wire and pieces of colored glass, the film weighs a little, does not create loads and can be glued to almost any surface. The self-adhesive film can be used as glass reinforcement. If it breaks, the fragments will be much smaller, more often only a crack appears.
Color stained glass is an excellent alternative to expensive and heavy stained glass. More popular today is the design of interiors with the use of ready-made textures, simple monochrome materials. On sale there is not only polyester stained glass film, but also other varieties:
- with protection from splinters;
- reflecting ultraviolet rays;
- with protection against overheating of internal premises;
- special textured.
Stained glass films are glued on the half of the window. A great way to protect yourself from excessive sunlight.
The windows in the dark wooden frame are decorated with stained glass. Uncomplicated figure suitable for interior design in the style of country or modern.
A small window in the bathroom is decorated with stained glass.
In this article, read:
- 1 Advantages of use
- 2 Pasting the polyester film yourself
- 2.1 Finishing
- 3 How to paste stained glass with your own hands. Video
- 4 Stained-glass films in the interior of apartments and private houses
Benefits of use
Manufacturers today produce materials with various properties, most often it is a polyester stained-glass stain film, which has some ornament. It is attractive, has a special adhesive layer, which allows you to quickly and reliably decorate almost any surface, from the window and ending with such design options as stained glass ceilings. Unlike the classic glass stained glass, this method of decoration is characterized by simplicity of action, the cost of work in this case is much lower. If you compare painting on glass with stained-glass paints and design with films, the first option is more suitable for spacious halls and country mansions, and films - for balconies and apartments, since the glazing area is small.
What is the difference between stained glass films made of polyester, why are they so popular today? The characteristics are as follows:
- high level of tensile strength;
- preservation of form;
- optical qualities make it possible for the sunlight to pass through the film; in terms of the indices, this material can be compared with the classical stained glass;
- optical distortions are minimal, as the film thickness is the same on any part of the surface;
- the material is durable, its service life is up to 35 years, under the condition of proper operation and regular care of the surface;
- any decorative self-adhesive film has a mechanical, chemical resistance, it can be washed, but you can not use abrasives;
- the material is environmentally safe, does not emit dangerous fumes into the environment.
Stained-glass film with a gold pattern - a stylish decoration for the interiors of country cottages.
With the help of stained glass, you can decorate not only the windows, but mirrors. For example, a wardrobe with bare mirrors using a film becomes unusual and exclusive.
Decorative partitions between rooms can also be decorated with stained glass.
There are a number of drawbacks, which can not be forgotten, for example, organizing, for example, stained glass panes of balconies:
- Transparency is slightly lower than that of glass, especially for dark shades.
- Material sticking is not so difficult, but it is necessary to strictly observe the technology, otherwise there will be air bubbles, and the coating will quickly lose its aesthetic properties.
- Polyester materials burn well, so they can not be used in places where there is a high probability of fire.
Where can I use colored polyester films instead of painting with stained-glass paints? There are many options for such use, everyone can choose the right one for himself. Demanded among customers are stained glass ceilings, unusually attractive partitions, interior doors, many are crazy about luxurious and unconventional stained glass balconies. Self-adhesive can be applied to the surface of furniture during its restoration, refrigerator doors, windows and even facade panels. For example, the stained-glass painting differs in complexity and requires experience, and the self-adhesive film is glued quickly and easily, without requiring financial and time costs.
Doors with glass inserts are decorated with a matt stained-glass film with an uncomplicated pattern. Not pretentious, restrained design of the doors will organically fit into the classic interior of the hall.
The country-style living room is interesting with a large mirrored wardrobe. Mirrors are pasted with a stained-glass film with a white pattern.
Pasting the polyester film yourself
The technique of stained glass windows and the gluing of decorative films vary greatly. The second option is much easier, do not have the experience to turn a boring window into a real work of art. For this purpose, the technique of application known to many is used. From the film, certain fragments are cut or the whole can is glued. To create a plot yourself, you can use a variety of templates or apply contours of the ornament with a special pencil.
The following tools will be required to complete the work:
- a scraper for glass from rubber;
- spray (it should be filled with ordinary warm water and soap);
- a piece of suede, paper towels, you can take any rags without nap;
- sharp knife;
- wooden or plywood smooth substrate for tapping self-adhesive film;
- special pencil.
Stained-glass film with butterflies for easy, unobtrusive design.
The stained-glass ceiling is in harmony with the design of the doors with glass inserts.
Stained glass in the kitchen in the country style becomes a protection against excess sunlight.
The stained glass film is applied to the surface as follows:
- The glass is cleaned of debris, dust, dirt, then degreased. Similar preparation is required when the stained-glass painting is performed, but unlike it, you do not need to remove the frame. Self-adhesive can be applied to almost any smooth surface. Pre-clean the acrylic panels (if it is planned stained-glass ceilings or something else), pieces of furniture, interior partitions, walls or facade panels (when the stained glass facades or finishing windows).
- Hands should be thoroughly washed and dried, but it is best to work in special protective gloves to avoid leaving fingerprints on the window.
- Next, the glass is measured, and the order of space filling is outlined on a sheet of paper. If the veranda is removed, diamonds or rectangles cut from monochrome films can be used. To facilitate gluing, we must immediately draw up a scheme with the placement of all elements. For this work you will need a ruler, a simple pencil, a knife.
- The next step is the same as the classical stained glass painting, - the surface of the glass is treated with a soapy water solution. Some experts recommend moistening the adhesive layer, which has self-adhesive films, but this requires certain skills of work.
- To decorate the stained-glass windows follow from the top and left corner, gradually moving further in accordance with the drawn up scheme. The substrate separates easily, but it needs to be done gradually, removing all air bubbles as they stick. The film is pressed against the base, the rags make careful horizontal movements, displacing all the air from under the self-adhesive.
- After the stained-glass windows are completely pasted, you must once again dry them with rags, removing the missing air bubbles. Stained-glass painting requires special skill and more sophisticated technology than this.
The fireplace panel is decorated with stained glass.
Stained glass inserts in suspended ceilings become a creative element of lighting.
After the stained glass windows are equipped, you can proceed to the finish finish. For this, a squeegee with a smooth working side is used. This tool should be carried from the center of one element to its edges, smoothing and eliminating all folds and bubbles. If the work was done correctly, then there are no such defects.
Now, with the prototype knife, you must carefully remove all surplus at the edges of the glass and at the joints (if any). You need to do this, trying not to damage the seals and the window frame. Then the stained glass windows of the facades or windows are wiped with a dry piece of suede.
During work, it is very important to glue the joint to the joint, but not overlap, as this negatively affects the quality of the pattern, making the coating less durable.
Color stained-glass film in the design of the country house hall.
Door arched openings are decorated with stained glass.
Care for this finish is required careful, which also distinguishes the self-adhesive. Stained-glass painting executed by paints, is not afraid of moisture or mechanical influences, and the film is afraid. Even a small impact or sharp objects can cut through it, which necessitates re-gluing the whole piece. Stickers are negative for moisture and temperature changes, so they should be applied from the inside of the room or buy special models for street decoration.
Thanks to stained glass on the glass or using a film, you can get an unusual interior to envy friends and acquaintances. From the stained-glass balconies any passer-by will be delighted.
Luxurious decoration of windows with stained glass. Several elements are united in a single picture.
Suspended ceiling with properly selected lighting is decorated with a stained-glass film of blue color.