Horizontal blinds for windows appeared not so long ago, but immediately won the attention of interior designers. Entering the room, a person pays attention to windows in the first place, so it is important to decorate them beautifully and attractively. Horizontal blinds do a great job with this task. They are suitable for both PVC and wooden window frames. In this article Dekorin tells about the main types of horizontal blinds and their use in the interior.
Types of horizontal blinds
There are quite a few kinds of horizontal blinds on the windows, among which:
- External blinds. Can be useful when you want to install blinds on the street. They are mainly used in private homes.
- Horizontal blinds with electric drive. Use when automatic adjustment is required.
- Latticed blinds. Equipped with additional holes in the lamellae. They use them, pursuing decorative purposes, because they protect little from the sun.
- Intermediate horizontal blinds. Are installed between the frames and perfectly protect from sunlight. Do not make a noise in the wind.
- Rolled horizontal fabric blinds. Such blinds can replace conventional curtains. So, they are used in the kitchen, as well as the bedroom and living room.
Read also: Blinds in the kitchen photo 35+ interesting options
Materials for the manufacture of horizontal blinds
The material for horizontal blinds can be selected for every taste, because the choice is quite wide. Thus, horizontal blinds in the interior can be made of the following materials:
- Horizontal wooden blinds. Quite capricious and requires an individual approach. Examples of wooden horizontal blinds you can see in the following photos.
- The analogue of the above wooden models is horizontal bamboo blinds. Their appearance is not worse, but they are not so demanding to care.
- Cloth horizontal blinds. The so-called shutter-pleated slats fit perfectly into any interior, protecting the room well from the sun.
- Metal models can be considered the most durable. In addition, they are unpretentious in care and do not lose their properties over time. However, they are not recommended for use on windows facing south, because in summer the metal is heated in the sun.
- Plastic blinds - the most inexpensive and yet fragile option. However, it's easy to care for them, but the choice of colors and design pleases.
Horizontal shutters on plastic windows in various rooms
Horizontal blinds on plastic windows can be used in any room in your home. But for each room, its kind of curtains is preferable.
Choosing horizontal blinds in the kitchen, it is better to look at the plastic model. This is explained by the fact that it is easy to take care of, it does not heat up and is quite inexpensive. Horizontal shutters in the kitchen you can see in the following photos.
For the bedroom, the ideal option will be fabric horizontal roll blinds. They protect well from sunlight and strangers.
Intermediate wooden blinds fit into the living room. They create a feeling of coziness, which is so important in this room.
Horizontal shutters on the balcony are also quite appropriate to use. They are good at protecting this room from the sun. For the balcony you can use plastic horizontal blinds.
Also a very interesting option is horizontal blinds on the door. They can be used as a replacement for doors and roller blinds. You can also use blinds made of wood or plastic, depending on the design of the room.
Horizontal blinds with own hands
To date, you can find many different models of blinds on sale, but it's always nice to do something with your own hands. Further from the article you will learn how to do horizontal blinds with your own hands.
Very original look curtains, made of wallpaper. So, for work on you will need: wallpaper, rope, scissors, stationery knife, ruler, double-sided scotch, retainer, declarative cap, and punch.
The process of manufacturing horizontal blinds:
- Count the size of a piece of wallpaper you need and cut it off. It should be borne in mind that further from the material we will make an accordion, so add an additional 30 cm to the length. The width of the canvas should be equal to the width of the window itself.
- Make bends for folds about 5 cm wide (but not less than 3 cm). This is required for the product to look neat.
- Begin to make an accordion. In this case, consider that the top of the curtain must be exactly the same width as the leaf, and the bottom should look like a complete step.
- Now fold the accordion in one line and in the middle make a hole using a punch. Very interesting will look holes in the form of a heart, a flower or asterisk. This stage is performed at will, but it is able to decorate horizontal blinds made by own hands.
- Pass the rope through the hole and fasten the curtains at the top, tying the knot. Also glue it with a double-sided tape.
- Straighten the curtains and you will understand what the length of the rope is best (add to this length a few centimeters).
- Glue the bottom edges and straighten them, creating a beautiful bottom of the blinds. Attach a clip and a plug to the rope. This is required for the convenience of curtain management.
- Now the finished blinds are attached to the sash, using a double-sided adhesive tape.