In the construction market, you can find many kinds of decorative stone. This finishing material mimics the texture and shape of its natural counterpart, and also has a number of advantages over it. The popularity of an artificial product is due to its significantly lower cost with high operational properties. Following the recommendations, the decoration with decorative stone can be performed independently. The appearance of the finished surface sometimes does not allow us to distinguish the facing material from the natural stone, however, it is important to determine which is best for the same hallway to use. The right choice will help to design an interior design that will please owners of the house for many years. Therefore, hereafter we will tell about its varieties and the technology of laying.Artificial stone in the corridor
Such a number of useful properties allowed the product to become famous in a short period of time: the owners of country mansions began to use it massively in finishing. It has practically no drawbacks, but it differs in the composition class. Inexpensive material can be prone to abrasion and destructive influence of the aggressive environment (for example, if it is a kitchen). An additional protective coating is required. The durability of the artificial stone is somewhat less than that of the natural element. The main drawback of the decorative stone in the hallway is not so much its some property, how many less strong fastenings. If it can last several decades, then they will fail before. To ensure the longest possible service life and the unchanged presentation of the product, it is necessary to make the right choice of the invoice for a particular room.
Types of decorative product
Production facilities in modern factories make it possible to produce all kinds of construction products. Just like the appearance, the composition of different types of material differs, which directly affects its properties. Among the main players on the market are the following types of decorative finishing stone:
- Porcelain tiles. Characteristics of this type allow it to be used for finishing exterior facades. The composition of ceramic granite tiles includes feldspar, quality clay, as well as dyes. The manufacturing process involves pressing and firing the material. The consequence of this treatment is the high strength of the product and its moisture resistance. Tiles can be used to cover the walls of the shower room. Uniform coloration is provided due to a homogeneous structure throughout the depth of the sample. The factory assortment offers users various geometric shapes of tiles, color solutions (mat or gloss), features of texture (polishing or roughness). In the section, the same texture as the natural stone is observed. Products from porcelain stoneware can withstand temperature changes, but they should not be exposed to chemical attack.
It is recommended to use a thick tile from 14 mm for facing the outer walls.
- Agglomerates. The decoration of the hallway with decorative stone from agglomerates very accurately imitates the external properties of natural elements in nature. For their production a special filler (granite crumb, quartz sand), glue binder (polyester resin) and pigment dyes are used. The most popular are agglomerates of quartz, as they are distinguished by their strength and elegant appearance. The hardness of the product allows it to be used for exterior facades.
- Products based on concrete or gypsum.
Despite the attractiveness of previous species, the most common are still construction materials from concrete and gypsum. The technology of production gives the sand-cement products a sufficiently high strength, which allows them to be used for finishing the hallway. Properties of gypsum and concrete material are somewhat different:
- Gypsum stone can be processed using a hand tool, concrete - cut by a Bulgarian;
- Gypsum samples are twice as lighter than concrete, which allows them to be installed on plasterboard;
- Smooth surface of concrete stones decorates the outer walls better than gypsum;
- The cost of gypsum products is slightly less than that of concrete.
With all the differences, the manufacturing technology for these materials is the same: pouring into geometric shapes.Wall under the stone in the living room
A combination of stone and dark wallpaper for painting
It is recommended to cover the finished products with moisture-resistant acrylic impregnation. Then they become hypsopolymer.
Recommendations for the choice of decorative stone for cladding works
A competent finish involves many aspects. Due to the weak illumination of the hall, it is recommended to use warm colors of artificial material. A small area of the hallway involves the use of small tiles, because a large texture will make the space heavy. If too much stone is used in the interior, it can create an undesirable effect of the dark cave. To reduce the gloom of this tunnel, you need to arrange additional lighting or alternate stone areas with other types of finishes. Narrow premises are better not to decorate with a dark stone.Tiles for masonry
In the bedroom will look great stone insertion of a large pebble at the head of a large sofa. A similar texture is good to use near the fireplace. Tile will nicely decorate the place where a flat TV set will be installed. In the kitchen, a decorative stone helps to zonate space, creates an inset-apron near the sink. In the bathroom like to use bright glossy samples of moisture-resistant material. Excellent looks porcelain tiles on some sections of the walls.
The decorative stone in the hall looks best, as it is a guest area with a lot of doorways. Optimal is the combination of an artificial material with painted walls. It is necessary to choose the right color for it to look harmonious. The use of hi-tech stylistics will perfectly complement the stone surface with elements of glass or metal. Good lighting is required here.
Decorating the hallway with a decorative stone means covering the imitation surface with a semi-matt acrylic impregnation.
Stone walls are widely used in the winter garden, where a rough texture of light building materials can accentuate its airiness. Especially obviously it will be in contrast with the dark wooden frames on the windows.
Technology of wall finishing
Before the installation, it will be necessary to go through a series of stages and carry out preparatory work:
- The wall must be cleaned of grease and dust, old finishes;
- Beforehand to think over the placement of engineering communications and electrical structures;
- The wall plane should be leveled if the curvature index exceeds 0.2 mm / m. An exception can only be made for rough construction materials;
- The existing cracks should be filled with plaster, then apply a layer of leveling putty. If necessary, it is possible to use the reinforcement method. The optimal option for leveling can serve as facing the walls with gypsum boards;
- When the wall is sufficiently level, it must be treated with a suitable primer;
- To speed up the installation and accurately determine the number of products, it is recommended to draw a sketch of the finished lining on the prepared wall. Or, using the method of puzzles, arrange decorative patterns on the floor;
To fix the tiles on the walls, a glue binder is used. If you correctly prepare the solution, it will fix the imitation image for many years. The recipe for glue looks simple: a special powder is combined in the correct proportions (indicated on the package) with water, after which it is beaten with a mixer. Ready-made mortar is able to fix even bulky stones. For small products it is possible to use liquid nails or a budget sand-cement mortar.Stone panel, stylish and rich
Stacking the stone yourself
The performance characteristics of the decorative stone allow you to make laying work with your own hands. The simplicity of the procedure is ensured by using special beacons at the corners of the prepared wall and the cord, which is attached to them in a horizontal plane. During laying, the upper end of the decorative elements is fitted under a tightly stretched horizontal. The operation itself starts from the corner in one of three possible ways:
- An expensive method involves the use of corner stones and ensures the speed of installation;
- with a suitable texture it is possible to use the overlap method;
- independent cutting of the ends of the decorative tile by means of a grinder slightly increases the installation time.
Glue binder is applied to the wall along the entire length of the horizontal segment. After arrangement of a corner of a wall all other elements are fixed to each other. In this case, it is important to remove the exposed adhesive solution in a timely manner so that the aesthetic appearance of the wall is not affected. Uniformity of the seam can be achieved by installing mounting crosses.Internal finishing of the corridor in the apartment
After the first row was fixed - the horizontal level in the form of a cord with beacons moves higher. Before gluing the next row, it is necessary to wait until the previous one is fixed and dry. Vertical direction does not matter, imitation elements can be attached both from below and from above. When using the bottom-up direction, it is possible to hit the adhesive binder on the lower row of fixed elements. Finally, the liquid glue will dry after two days, after which it is possible to start sealing the seams between the tiles. The usual putty or concrete-glue mastic is applied. Defect laying like cleavage or cracks masked through an airbrush, which is made of the following components: water, acrylic lacquer, tonal additive. It is also useful to coat the finished surface with a water-repellent layer. This can be considered work on laying a decorative stone with your own hands completed.Living room and exit to the terrace
If the above recommendations are observed, the decoration of the walls with a decorative stone can be done by hand. A competent approach to the selection and installation of building materials will create a chic interior design type.